The Dawkter's Wife - It's all champagne and caviar now … dahling

The Loony Bin

March 13, 2011

My leopard gecko laid an egg….and other tales from this week.

It’s been a whirlwind.  Good, but busy.

Thomas and I officially celebrated 17 years of marriage yesterday.  Holy buckets.  Our marriage is one year from adulthood! LOL

It doesn’t feel like 17 years have passed.  I feel like I’ve always known him and been with him….and I can’t imagine my life without him.  My daughter recently asked me how he proposed to me and I had to confess that he never did.  We met on February 22nd, 1993 and had our first date on March 14, just a few weeks later.  We went for a long walk in the woods and planned the rest of our life together on that first date, and we never looked back.  We were married a year later.  17 years, 3 countries, 5 children … and every day I feel blessed that I get to grow old with him.  We have been through so much together: residency and fellowship, the cancer … and I feel like we have grown closer.  We are in such a good place.

He came up with a great gift for us to give each other.  We bought sterling silver bracelets and had them engraved with our names and the date that we got married.  This bears repeating.  He came up with this idea….he dragged me around the mall until he found what he liked and … he took me out to lunch while it was being engraved.

I am very lucky.

In other news …. one of my leopard geckos laid an egg.  I was thrilled by the prospect of them having a baby gecko.  Unfortunately, the egg appears not to be viable.  It was too soft and also got trampled on.  The mother gecko has been showing nesting behaviors though.  She is busy digging through the sand to make little burrows.  I am strangely excited by the idea of them starting their own little gecko family! LOL!

Alex also finally had his birthday party this weekend.  I spent Friday night at the Holiday Inn supervising 12 hyperactive twelve year olds while they swam, ate pizza, and played volleyball.  It was absolutely hysterical to watch them on the volleyball court.  They naturally divided up into boys against the girls.  The girls tried their hardest.  They rotated in and out of positions, gave each other suggestions, were supportive and mature.  The boys?  They caught the ball, kicked it over the girls’ heads, created pyramids of boys to jump over to spike the ball and generally acted like nincompooops!  The difference between the two groups was striking!

The girls were all picked up at 10pm and the boys spent the night in our suite.  Once I got them settled into their room, I fell into a deep sleep.  Apparently, it was entertaining, because the next morning during breakfast I was inundated with stories about how funny I looked.  All of the boys had come into the front room to take turns watching me sleep.  Awesome. It seems like they all had a good time though, and Alex was really happy with the turnout.  He invited his whole class and most of them came.  He loves his new school, and I was really impressed with the kids.  This definitely made me realize that we made the right choice for Alex.

Saturday morning, Thomas came to help me get checked out and he brought Zoe with him.  When she saw me, she jumped into my arms and squeeled “I made a wish on a shooting star that you would come home, and it came true.” Later in the day when Thomas and I were at the mall, Andrew called me to ask me something.  Before he hung up, he said “I love you Mom”. :o

Motherhood can be such a tough gig sometimes, but then there are the little reminders that make me realize how truly blessed I am.

  1. Awww Kris, that was such a sweet post!

    Comment by Path201X — March 22, 2011 @ 6:58 am

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.